If you read 'Understanding the Buyer', you already know that shopping for a home is essentially the process of elimination. As a home seller, you want to offer a product that is LEAST likely to be eliminated by potential buyers as they search for a new home. Additionally you know that there are 14 reasons why buyers select one product over another - in other words, if a buyer perceives your product as not satisfying the benefits that are most important to him or her, they will eliminate your home from their search and move onto the next home. OR... they might be willing to purchase your product, but for less than what might be acceptable to you.
But there are things you, as the seller, can do to try and ADD perceived benefits, and therefore value, to your home before it goes on the market. Your Real Estate Agent can give you a thorough list of recommended steps to take to prepare your home for the market. Additionally, there are many more specific posts and articles that can be found here under Staging Tips to help guide you in the right direction, but here are a few quick and easy ideas you can take on your own.
* Keep the grass cut and remove all yard clutter.
* Weed and apply fresh mulch to flower beds.
* Apply fresh paint to wooden fences.
* Tighten and clean all door handles.
* Clean windows inside and out.
* Powerwash home’s exterior.
* Ensure all gutters and downspouts are firmly attached and functioning.
* Paint the front door.
* Buy a new welcome mat.
* Place potted flowers near the front door.
* Evaluate the furniture in each room and remove anything that interrupts “the flow” or makes the room appear smaller. Consider renting a storage unit to move items off-site.
* Clean and organize cabinets, closets and bookshelves.
* Clean all light fixtures and ceiling fans.
* Shampoo carpets.
* Remove excessive wall hangings and knick-knacks.
* Repair all plumbing leaks, including faucets and drain traps.
* Make minor repairs (torn screens, sticking doors, cracked caulking).
* Clean or paint walls and ceilings.
* Replace worn cabinet and door knobs.
* Fix or replace discolored grout.
* Replace broken tiles.
* Replace worn countertops.
Special Details for Showings
* Turn on all the lights.
* Open all drapes and shutters in the daytime.
* Keep pets secured outdoors.
* Buy new towels for bathrooms.
* Buy new bedding for bedrooms.
* Replace old lamps or lampshades.
* Play quiet background music.
* Light the fireplace or clean out the ashes and light a candelabrum.
* Infuse home with a comforting scent, such as apple spice or vanilla.
* Set the dining room table for a fancy dinner party.
* Vacate the property while it is being shown.
Get the free downloadable 30-day plan to make your home "market ready" to sell faster & for more money!!
GET IN TOUCH